As a new year resolution at the beginning of 2018, I committed to doing more for Charity. I felt that life has been good to me for the past few years, and it was time to give something back.
Unfortunately, the year didn’t start off well for me and I found myself needing more support than I was able to give. Thankfully, I have a loving daughter, family and friends, that were there for me and helped me get through one of the toughest periods in my life. But it got me thinking about how much I had relied on them and how not everyone was so fortunate.
This only helped further intensify my desire to do something to give back, but left me in a bit of a quandary.
HOW DO YOU DECIDE WHICH SINGLE CHARITY TO SUPPORT?
As there is so much fantastic work being done by so many charities, I found it impossible to choose just one, so have decided that I would approach things in a slightly different way. With the help of friends and family I am raising funds and awareness for 11 different charities by completing 12 charity challenges, over 12 months.
12 CHALLENGES IN 12 MONTHS
Each one of the 12 Challenges will stretch me both mentally and physically, pushing me to achieve things I have never done before.
- January – A 10K Run around Draycote water for Diabetes UK, which both friends and family suffer from.
- February – A 100k Rowing Challenge to support Cyrenians, a charity that helps the homeless get back on their feet.
- March – The Coventry Half Marathon for Barnardo’s, in partnership with IKEA.
- April – The Wolf Run for Leukaemia UK, a cause very close to my heart after losing a friend to Leukaemia in 2018.
- May – 100 mile walk for the Heart Link Children’s Charity at Glenfield hospital.
- June – 3 Peak Challenge for MacMillan Cancer Support, such a wide range of support offered.
- July – Water Wipeout 10K for Alzheimer’s UK through Home from home dementia day care.
- August – Parachute Jump for Age UK, Leicestershire and Rutland.
- September – A run around the Rutland Water 26 mile course in aid of Mind, mental health being a huge part of my life over the past 12 months.
- October – Cycle to the Sea for the British Heart Foundation.
- November – Movember, for Prostate Cancer UK, both family and friend’s diagnosed.
- December – Ending the year in style with a Charity Auction & Dinner to round off the year and celebrate the grand total raised, before splitting the funds and presenting the charities with a final amount each.
Nearly every family will find themselves touched by one or more of the issues that I hope to raise awareness for, but they may not be aware of the fantastic work done by the charities to support those affected.
HOW CAN YOU SHOW YOUR SUPPORT?
You can support me and my chosen charities at any time by donating whatever you feel appropriate using the link on this page or by sending a cheque to the address in the contact us section.
All The money raised will be split equally at the end of the year amongst the 11 charities after the final dinner and auction.
Every donor will be invited to the end of year dinner and auction.
AUCTION ITEM DONATIONS
You can donate items for the charity auction in December using the email address in the contact us section. Anything and everything will be considered and if the items are large we can arrange collection.
Every auction donor will also be invited to the end of year dinner and auction.